Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sea of Galilee & The Golan Heights

After spending the last couple of days reading about the Sea of Galilee area and the Golan Heights, I'm really disappointed to have left myself only two days in this region. It's a dilemma I run into often with trips, and it's usually the product of reading too many different guidebooks. I have a limited number of days and there are a seemingly unlimited number of sights that I want to see. I could cut a day from Haifa or Tel Aviv (which to be honest I would skip if I didn't realize I would be missing a real important piece of modern Israel), but instead I have to pick the sights I want to see, get up at the crack of dawn both mornings, and stay out until sunset each night.
The Sea of Galilee is heavy in sights that revolve around Jesus' ministry. A visit to The Church of the Primacy of St. Peter, The Church of the Multiplication of the Fishes and the Loaves, The Mount of the Beatitudes and it's chapel, and Capernaum (Jesus' Galilee home base) are all a must. I also hope to visit the ruins of Kursi, an ancient village on the east side of the lake where Jesus performed the Miracle of the Swine, where he sent demons from a man into a group of pigs who subsequently drown themselves in the lake. I also want to visit two elevated viewpoints, one at Mount Arbel, just north of Tiberius, and the other is Mitzpe Ofir Viewpoint, which reportedly gives the best overview of the lake. I'm planning on sunset from here.
My day in the Golan is probably (along with Caeserea) the biggest reason I got a rental car, as public transport would have made it impossible to even attempt to visit all of these sights in one day. I'm getting up real early to make the drive all the way up to near the Lebanon border to take in the Banyas Nature Reserve, which is loaded with both natural beauty and historical significance. From there it's on to Nimrod's Castle, a crusader-era fort perched picturesquely on a hilltop. After that hike I have about an hour's drive south to Gamla, called the Masada of the North for it's famous battle between the Jews and the Romans in 66 AD. The result was the same, with hundreds of Jews throwing themselves off the cliff face to the deaths rather than being taken by the Romans. With what remains of the day, I'll travel to Tzfat (Safed), the home to the ancient mystical tradition of Kaballa. Besides having an outstanding artist's colony and historical significance in Israel's founding, Tzfat has an ancient citadel park on a hill overlooking the old city, which sounds like a great place to catch sunset.
The next day takes me to Mount Tabor (the site of Jesus' Transfiguration), Nazareth, the town he grew up in, and Tel Meggido, which translated means "Armageddon", now ruins of another ancient town. In the evening I'll be in Haifa, and that city will be covered in another post.
Those are three really packed days. It's exactly the type of travel I love.

No comments: